Masthead header

Walker

Trenton State Psychiatric Hospital, Kirkbride, HDR, Urbex, Scott Frederick Photogrpahy

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5, 10mm, f/8, ISO 100

Post processing in my opinion is the hardest thing to master in the world of photography.  For all of the photography purists out there that don’t (heavily) process your images, you can ignore this post! Shooting techniques are an act of discipline, but processing an image to suit your vision is something that can make or break your flow!  We have a lot of options when it comes to working on an image and a lot of time for me it’s all about experimentation.  What works for me at the time may or may not agree with me later.  I’m constantly evolving in terms of what I like and don’t like about my own work.  When viewing images of others I either like them or I don’t, I usually don’t pick apart the image. When viewing my own work, I tend to be very honest with myself.  I have no regrets about any images I’ve ever posted, but can surely look back and think of ways I could of processed or shot it differently. This is evolution! When out in the field, you have little opportunity to make mistakes when it comes to composition, exposure settings and bracketing if that’s how you choose to shoot. Lots of scenes and locations could be a once (or twice) in a lifetime opportunity.

Last night while viewing the middle bracket from this series, I did a quick adjustment in Aperture 3 and was really happy with the results.  Some would stop there, but I’m always looking for more outcome with my work! This is where HDR allows me to play and manipulate.  I decided after tone mapping this image to mask in at a low percentage, parts of the original bracket that I had adjusted previously. I liked how the natural feel of the original image began to filter back into the HDR file. Then it was off to onOne’s brand new Perfect PhotoSuite 6 utilizing Perfect Effects 3! Love, Love, Love that program!

Having vision is not always about what you see in front of you, but rather what you see ahead of your current state of mind!  Where do you want to take things?  I don’t always have that answer, sometimes it’s the journey along the way that takes me where I want to be.  With that said, this image and a lot of my work is as much my vision as it is my journey. When I arrive at my destination, I always look back to see if I made the best decisions along the way. How could I improve my route and most of all how could I of planned better for the journey!

Share on Facebook|Tweet this post|Google+|Pin It|Contact Me|Email this post|Link to this post
November 10, 2011 - 11:14 am

Edith Levy - Another awesome shot Scott. Love it.

November 10, 2011 - 11:20 am

Jim Denham - First a wheelchair, now a walker. Good stuff my friend and good insight on the processing. It can hang you up for sure, but to me, it is the fun part of seeing the image come to life!

November 10, 2011 - 11:38 am

A.Barlow - Nice write up man. Love the image. Feels lonely to me, but I see where you were going with it. :)

November 10, 2011 - 11:46 am

Dave DiCello - Really well written post here man. I’m with you, my style is always evolving based on what I like that day and different people that influence me. Oh and as for PE 3….that is one amazing piece of software! Great shot here for sure Scott.

November 10, 2011 - 12:14 pm

Toad Hollow Photography - Awesome, awesome work here Scott. Great shot, and I really appreciated you taking the time to share your thoughts and tips in post processing.

November 10, 2011 - 1:16 pm

Chris Maskell - Great image Scott. I would class myself as a purist, I spent most of my life shooting on transparency film with a manual camera.
That said I also love HDR when done well and this is done very well

November 10, 2011 - 4:05 pm

KR - Awesome image. And I agree with you as far as post-processing is concerned. To me, personally, there’s no difference between “shooting” and “postprocessing” – it’s just simply different steps of the same (creative, whatever) process. :)
Anyway, really enjoy your work!
K.

November 11, 2011 - 1:01 pm

Mike Criswell - Nice work Scott, I totally agree with your processing comments, nice write up

November 11, 2011 - 1:05 pm

Kris Koeller - A great result. I agree it requires a deft hand. I put off learning PhotoShop et al as I knew I would get consumed by all the options. Well done, and great restraint.

November 13, 2011 - 1:31 pm

Luis - Very good photograph and i really relate to your thoughts on post processing.
You have excellent work here, I will be following it more closely in the future!

November 14, 2011 - 6:26 am

Jan Winther - Great great shot and processing. That door on the left is just spectacular and could be the subject in its own way. Incredible shot.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

U s a g e